The Melton and Oakham Waterways Society (MOWS) was formed in 1997 to campaign and actively work for the preservation and restoration of the Melton Mowbray Navigation and the Oakham Canal.
So far we have:
- Worked with The Ramblers Association and landowners to create the Wreake Valley Way, forming a continuous waterside walkway on the line (wherever possible) of the Melton Mowbray Navigation towpath.
- Worked with the Waterways Recovery Group and Melton Mowbray Town Estate to create a slipway, providing easy access to the “Melton Ring” waterway.
- Designed, had built, and regularly operate river clearance vessels to maintain the waterways in Melton Mowbray.
- Worked with SUSTRANS, Leicestershire County Council and British Waterways to ensure the design of the replacement footbridge at Syston met all waterway restoration criteria.
- Built the foundations for a sustainable future for both waterways.